Københavns Frihavn

VikingLifeBlog

Image result for vikinglifeblog

The Free Port of Copenhagen is a bonded area in the northern part of Harbour of Copenhagen, Denmark. Created to consolidate Copenhagen’s position as an important maritime hub in Northern Europe, it was established in the area just north of the fortress Kastellet and later expanded northwards several times. The original grounds, now known as Søndre Frihavn (English: South Free Port), has since been released for other uses. It comprised Amerika Plads, a modern mixed-use development, America Quay, India Quay, Langelinie and Marble Pier, the four quays which bounded the harbour, and Midtermolen, a pier which divides it into an east and west basin.

The free port is now located in Nordhavnen and is part of Copenhagen Malmö Port.

Related image

History

Planning and construction

The Freeport under construction

In the middle of the 19th century, Copenhagen’s growth and the increasing industrialization made…

Ver la entrada original 1.095 palabras más

Schloss Herdringen

VikingLifeBlog

Related image

Herdringen Castle (German: Schloss Herdringen) is a castle in the Ortsteil Herdringen of the town of Arnsberg, Germany. It is the seat of the Fürstenberg-Herdringen family and the present building (built from 1844 to 1853 to designs by Ernst Friedrich Zwirner) is one of the most notable secular Gothic revival buildings in Westphalia.

Image result for Schloss Herdringen

In 1963, Herdringen Castle and its park were used as “Chelford Manor” during the filming of the German crime movie The Black Abbot.

Image result for Schloss Herdringen
Related image
Related image
Related image

Ver la entrada original

Fortress of Ulm

VikingLifeBlog

The fortress of Ulm (Bundesfestung Ulm) was one of five federal fortresses of the German Confederation around the cities of Ulm and Neu-Ulm. With its 9 km polygonal main circumvallation Ulm had the biggest fortress in Germany in the 19th century and it’s still one of the biggest in Europe.

After the final defeat of Napoleon in 1815 the victorious powers agreed to defend the states from the inside. The fortresses were one of the few realised projects of the confederation. The fortress Ulm was planned by the Prussian construction manager Moritz Karl Ernst von Prittwitz und Gaffron and built under his supervision between 1842 and 1859.

In peacetimes the fortress should hold 5,000 men of the federal army, in wartimes up to 20,000 soldiers. A plan to expand the fortress to hold 100,000 men was never realised. The building costs were valued at 16,5 mio. guilders.

The…

Ver la entrada original 126 palabras más